Texts on art and culture are a challenge for translation professionals as their rendition into another language often diverges from the traditional translation process and takes on the form of writing. Translators are called on to choose the right words in order to maintain the tone of voice and “melody” of the original text. At Glossima & Wehrheim, we work with literary writers and art historians so that the rendering of artistic expression or the translation of art texts into different languages actually reflect to the writer’s intentions.
Since 1992, we have undertaken a series of large projects for different art and cultural organisations, covering a total volume of over 10,000 pages into and from a number of different languages. In particular:
- Catalogues for the largest museums in Greece
- Art books (e.g. Taschen publications)
- Texts by art critics
- Descriptions of monuments, archaeological sites and artcrafts
- Captions and descriptions of art objects
- Curricula vitae of artists
- Auto guides to museums and monuments
- Programmes of artistic events (e.g. Festivals, etc.) and of various artistic performances (theatre, dancing etc.)
- History and travel guides
Confidentiality and professional liability
At Glossima & Wehrheim we guarantee the confidentiality of your documents in writing. Moreover, all of our services are covered by professional liability insurance.
Every form of art has its own terminology. Visual art, film, photography, music and performing arts are all different forms of artistic expression and each has its own terms and points of reference. All Glossima & Wehrheim’s translators have access to the company’s exclusive tools, and our close collaboration with art historians ensures the consistency and accuracy of the terminology used in each art field.
Revision of artistic/cultural translations and quality specifications
At Glossima & Wehrheim, all translations are thoroughly revised (proofreading/editing). When it comes to the translation of art texts, we also use art historians and literary writers or copywriters, where necessary.
Popular translations in the field of art and culture
- Art catalogues
- Books and texts on culture
- Travel guides
- Event programmes
In addition to translation, we provide the following services:
- proofreading and editing of translated texts
- rendering of terminology (without context)
- simultaneous and consecutive interpreting services
- surtitles for theatrical performances, etc.
For more information on the language pairs we cover for the field of Art and Culture, see languages.